Analysis Essay | What is Analytical Writing
We know that writing an analysis essay is challenging for students.
Ride My Homework is going to be the best guideline in this challenge!
Students will learn
-What is a literary analysis
Besides these 4 amazing headlines, students are going to see interesting analysis essay topics for 2020
The purpose of analysis essay is to look really deeply at a text so that the writer is able to answer the questions; how and why
Why is an analytical essay important?
When a text, film, poem, painting, and play is analyzed, the meaning that created by the author will come to light; the language creates meanings
Ask yourself questions to create a perfect analysis essay argument
- What I choose this special topic and what will I give to reader.
- Why pieces of evidence are important? Are they support my argument?
- What is the contributions of examples that I choose from work?
- Is there any significant story behind the argument?
ANALYTICAL WRITING DEFINITION
Analytical writing requires to evaluate complex ideas, approaches, theories or outcomes, and make them clear and understandable.
Critical thinking is the first provision of analytical writing.
Critical thinking is not agreement or disagreement with the presented topic; it is an assessment of every element of the work by examining deeply
In this way, you can make connections between arguments and evidence to see every single positive and negative side of a statement
While thinking critically and writing analytically your main methods should be
-compare and contrast of ideas
-evaluation of facts and evidence
-assessment of clarity of language (Do the readers understand the argument clearly?)
ANALYSIS ESSAY Outline & Structure
There is the ideal structure of analysis essay below!
Hook: Start with a catchy sentence to attract your reader
Background Information: Inform the reader about the text
Thesis: Clarify the claim of your essay
State title and the author of the work; it’s the date of publication
Tell the writer’s thesis
Identify your own thesis statement and claim about the work
The poem, Men of England, by Percy Shelly, is a touchy poem because ………
THE BODY PARAGRAPH
Claim: The topic sentence of the paragraph
Evidence: The facts, reasons and examples that support your argument
Connection: Combine your argument and evidence to explain why this work is important
Transition: Write a clear and short transition sentence to begin a new paragraph
Tell the main idea of the work
Answer WH- questions
Give information about setting, plot, characters and theme
Reword your thesis properly
State the importance of your analysis
Give a good recommendation
HOW TO BEGIN AN ANALYTICAL ESSAY
The introduction is the first punch of the analysis essay, so it should be powerful and charming to attract the audience
Analysis essay introduction consists of 3 essential part
- Background Information
HOW TO WRITE A HOOK FOR THE ANALYTICAL ESSAY
The purpose of the hook is to grabs the reader’s attention to make the essay readable
Hence, the hook should be captivating and interesting.
An appealing hook can be
- rhetorical question or interesting question
Be sure that the readers can find the answers in your body paragraph easily
- a relevant fact
The facts and a pieces of evidence should come from credible, reliable sources
- an anecdote or a statistic
It helps you to attract the audience your knowledge
- a metaphor / simile
When you use a metaphor, the reader wonders what the writer means
- a quotation
Words always have a great influence on people. Therefore, the quotation words should be memorable, striking, and powerful
THESIS OF ANALYSIS ESSAY
The thesis statement is the central message of the analysis essay. It refers to the main idea of the argument.
It must be one or two-sentences.
The thesis statement helps the writer to set his/her position and give the audience a sense of direction (a short of guideline)
A strong thesis statement should be
THE BODY OF ANALYSIS ESSAY
The body is a significant part of an essay.
It has to give clear and detailed explanations to make the argument understandable.
The well-written body paragraph includes
- The claim refers to the topic sentence of the paragraph. It tells the audience exactly what the paragraph is going to be about.
- Topic sentence (argument of the paragraph) should be supported by evidences
Piece of evidences rescue analysis essay from being a usual summary
- Transition sentence is also critical
The writer should tie every argument to each other with a transition sentence in paragraphs. Thus, the reader will be ready for the next and relevant discussions.
THE CONCLUSION OF ANALYSIS ESSAY
The conclusion is the final words of a writer, so the most memorable part of an essay.
To make it impressive
- Ask yourself why should the audience care your essay
Answer this question in your conclusion paragraph to state the importance of your essay
- Return the thesis statement
The thesis statement is the main idea of an analysis essay. If your last sentence reaches the same point with the thesis statement, the credibility of your essay will increase
- Avoid bring up a new argument
New argument requires new, long, and detailed explanations, BUT this is a conclusion.
You have to conclude written paragraphs arguments
HOW TO WRITE AN ANALYTICAL ESSAY ON AN ARTICLE
The principle of an analytical essay is to explain work (text, movie, painting, article) in detail to increase the audience’s understanding
To write a good analysis essay on an article
- Read the article critically
The critical reading means a deeper examination of the argument of an article and its supporting points, also the possible encounter arguments
- Describe and explain the argument that the author state
Only if you know the claim of the article well, you can analyze and criticize it. Otherwise, your analysis will turn a summary
- Make your own argument about the article
Analysis of an article is not a subjective reading BUT end of the analysis, you should state why you discuss it, what will leave for the reader
What is a Literary Analysis
Literary analysis definition
Literary analysis is a piece of writing to make clear how and why a literary text (poem, short story, novel, and play) is written.
Hence, writing a literary analysis is challenging for students.
To make it easier
- Find the aim of the author
Do not forget, every literary text has a message. The writer makes particular decisions for specific reasons.
You ought to point out the author intention and state the significance of it
- Know the literary terms and concepts
To make an academic analysis, you have to know the literary terms and concepts.
To clarify, if you do not know what the climax is, you cannot explain the peak of the plot.
That is why pay attention to the terms below!
- Static / Dynamic character
- Plot / subplot
- Do close reading
You should pay attention to some significant elements to analyze deeply
- Characters, their gestures, voice, reactions
- Historical and societal concept of the text
- The background of the events in the plot
These elements help you to understand the message of the work
HOW TO WRITE A LITERARY CRITICISM
Literary criticism is criticizing a literary text based on some literary theory. The main goal of literary critics is to find the best way to interpret literature.
Follow the tips below to write a good literary analysis essay
- Decide what you will discuss in the text
Every literary genre, novel, poem, short story, novella, has different elements. To explain, if you want to discuss form and content, you ought to talk about a poem instead of a play. Or, if you talk about the relationship of plot and subplot, you should choose a play
- Do not argue how good and bad the text is
The main purpose of the literary critic is to explain “what a piece means” and “how it achieves its effect”
- Pay attention to literary techniques that are used
A well-written literary critic explains how actions, speech, quotes, examples, and events display themes and ideas.
Be sure how the writer uses literary devices to support his/her points
- Avoid making summary
The summary is a way to inform the reader about the text. HOWEVER, it does not mean merely paraphrase, restate, re-telling what happens.
You should mention key points to make your argument clear, and back it up.
- Read the literary text more than once
Literary criticism requires close and critical reading. One cannot analyze every element of the text in the first reading. Also, it is hard to memorize details of the work
Therefore, you ought to take some reminder notes in the margin. These notes can be about concepts, the language of the text, your comments, a theory that is mentioned in the text.
Critical Literary Analysis Essay Examples
Before writing an analysis essay, make the purpose of the work clear, analyze the structure of the text, and evaluate whether the author accomplishes his/her purpose properly.
Follow tips and write an excellent critical literary analysis essay example
- Start with the background information
Inform the reader
The publication date
The context: it helps to understand the whole idea of the work
- Make a critical summary
A critical summary demonstrates your understanding of the source of work. Do not leave your impression, and be objective
- Ask some critical questions
Critical questions help to organize your analysis paragraph
-How to text is organized?
-The style and the rhetoric of the text?
-Is the message effective?
-Does the message of the text reach the target audience?
- Avoid saying “I think” and “my opinion”
The readers know that the whole essay is already your opinion. Saying these conventional words make your essay unsure.
ELEMENTS OF LITERARY ANALYSIS
Literary analysis (literary criticism) means interpretation of a literary text.
Literary texts: a poem, a short story, a play, a novel or even a movie
The literary elements help the reader to examine the meaning and significance of the literary works closely.
- Point of view
To analyze the plot, identify three basic points
Exposition: the events and characters are first exposed the reader
Decide the characters’ personality, moral ethics and appearance
Analyze the character of the characters (persons can be self-deceived, bias or kind)
Determine who is protagonist, flat /round /dynamic character
The theme is the fundamental and unifying concept of the literary work
It ought to be stated the generalization of the life instead of being a reference to a specific character
Thanks to the setting, the readers are going to understand
Where the story is; in which period of the time
What target society
What is the social context: custom, value, tradition?
LITERARY RESPONSE AND ANALYSIS
The literary response is a reaction to a piece of literature that one has read and heard.
The response of literature can be
Literary analysis is the act of thinking carefully how the elements (parts) of a literary text affect the whole.
How characters, setting, and plot affect the text? How did they used to create meaning?
These two important skills allow students to understand the meaning of the literary text and how they can form their own perception of it.
There are 3 crucial steps of literary response and analysis
- Textual Evidence
To assess the writer’s work academically, students need to support it by using textual evidence from the text
Textual evidence can be examples, quotes, references, and details in the text. Supporting the argument these evidence makes the argument (the essay) reliable and readable.
- Literary Elements
Literary elements mean setting, plot, characters, and theme. You should prove how they can contribute to each other, and how they can create the message of the text
- Literary Devices
Literary devices mean
- Metaphor /simile
- Flashbacks /foreshadowing
- Allegory /satire
Consider whether literary the usage of the literary devices helps the writer to accomplish his / her purposes.
Analysis Essay Topic Ideas for 2020
Historical Analysis Essay
Choose arguable and analytical topics. E.g. “What is Industrial Revolution” is not arguable so you cannot examine and analyze it. Nevertheless, “The effects of the Industrial Revolution on American society’s economy” can worth to analyze
- How Martin Luther’s essay has changed the social consciousness of the time about race and social justice?
- What are the contribution of the American Revolution to build up to a war, or recovery from it?
- Discuss world war II in the 1950s. Why and how America experienced surprising growth and prosperity?
Visual Analysis Essay
State the practical painting techniques, choice of colors and the painter’s aim
- What is the effects of advertisement visual elements on our lives?
- Analyze the psychological appeal and the type of sale in beauty products
- Discuss the impact of popular Hollywood productions’ visual arts
Image Analysis Essay
Do not forget the main purpose of the image analysis essay: tell a story and evoke emotion. Therefore, be sure about the message of the photo and analyze it
- Does climate change photo essay provide some opportunities like visiting vulnerable areas, for instance, Miami, for photographers?
- Can a photographer create a visual documentary about culture and customs?
- Has every food always a story? If so, how can the story tell by taking pictures?
Poetry Analysis Essay
Review different artistic, functional, and structural elements that create a poem
- What is the social and political activism of Allen Ginsberg on the Beat poets?
- How Shakespeare’s sonnets differ from contemporary poetry?
- Who are the central figures of feminist poetry? What are their contributions?
Fiction Analysis Essay
Focus on literary techniques of the fictional text
- Analyze the cultural context of the Marvel
- What message does the Charles Dickens convey in his masterpiece, Great Expectations?
- What is the historical significance of Hamlet?
Story Analysis Essay
Pay attention to how plot contribute to the development of the story
- Analyze the cultural and historical context of Dais Miller
- Describe the mood of short stories
- Discuss the effect of open-ending short stories on the readers
Public Policy Analysis
Think about policy techniques critically, and evaluate the one particular aspect of it
- How society’s behaviors affect the formulation of public policy? Or vice a verse
- What is the role of politics in public policy?
- How can actively citizens influence politics and public policy?
School Environment Analysis Essay
Benefit from your own experience and observation in the school
- What are the negative outcomes of the traditional class environment for students?
- How can a teacher promote a positive school environment by making free conversation before starting the classes?
- Is civics the most complex lesson to learn for children in primary school?
Novel Analysis Essay
Pay attention to the relationship between plot, subplot, characters and events
How do they help to the writer to reach his goal? What is the meaning of the text?
- Discuss key events in the Jane Eyre
- What is the social and cultural context of the Evelina by Fanny Burney?
- How did Thomas Hardy’s background affect his masterpieces?
Food Journal Analysis Essay
Enlighten the reader what exactly food journal is. Then, you can see aspects and elements of it
- Discuss the popularity of diet programs among teens
- Do you believe that only fat people have a food journal?
- How food journals motivate people to stay healthy? What are their psychological effects on the human body?
Business Analysis Essay
Remember the aim of business analysis essay: to gather the different techniques and collect information to make business decisions
- Discuss “the higher salary is the only motivation of employees”
- Can online marketing and social media be the best ways to reach a larger audience?
- Can one acquire leadership skills through self-awareness?
Business Data Analysis Essay
Business data analysis helps managers to make strategic decisions, solve critical problems and achieve major goals.
- What are the negative outcomes of poor collaboration?
- Are the usage of cookies stable and reliable source for advertisement data?
- Is providing transportation opportunities to employees beneficial for saving more working hours?
Economic Analysis Essay
Mostly focus on the essence of markets and competitions, and their impacts on productivity and inflation
- What is the work process of stock markets?
- What is the meaning of opportunity cost? Discuss the differences explicit vs implicit costs
- Discuss the contribution of Lee Kuan Yew to Singapore’s economy?
Social Media Analysis Essay
Focus on the effect of social media on sociology researchers.
- What is the role of social media in social consciousness?
- How can social media harm real communication?
- Discuss the critical impact of social media on making business