Synthesis Essay HUB | 2021 Ultimate Step by Step Guide
It is challenging to write a great synthesis essay for all students
Therefore, Ride My Homework has prepared an excellent guideline for you
In our page, you are going to learn
-what synthesis essay is
-Synthesis essay outline
-how to write a synthesis essay
Moreover, there are outstanding 30+ synthesis essay topics below!
Learn What is Synthesis Essay First
Before writing a synthesis essay, you should learn the meaning of synthesis and the purpose of synthesis essay to write the correct essay.
What do you mean by synthesis?
Synthesis means the mixture or combination of different ideas, beliefs, opinions or styles to make a whole new.
While writing a synthesis essay, you ought to argue a particular point based on proven statements.
What is the purpose of writing a synthesis essay?
The main purpose of the synthesis essay is to find and explain insightful connections between multiple opinions and concepts to construct a new theory or thesis which supports a particular claim.
In other words, you ought to take a core idea to discuss by comparing different sources. Therefore, you should examine a variety of sources and identify their relationship to write a proper synthesis essay.
It is Time to Learn How to Write Synthesis Essay Step by Step
You have learned the synthesis essay definition and its purpose. Now, we will inform you of the process of writing a perfect synthesis essay.
Synthesis essay consists of 3 basic parts:
- The Introduction
- Main Body Paragraph
- The Conclusion
Note: There should be at least 3 main body in a synthesis essay.
Before learning point by point synthesis essay, let’s clarify an important aspect of it!
What is the purpose of a synthesis paper? Where do we use synthesis essay?
Synthesis essay is used for 4 critical purposes:
- If you want to examine related theories to write an analysis paper, you should write a synthesis essay
E.g. A comparison between the conspiracy theories (assassination of John F. Kennedy)
- When you try to incorporate multiple sources in a research paper
E.g. Social and economic effects of new immigration laws on USA society
- While comparing different views on a specific subject and back up a reasonable claim
E.g. Argument: School kills creativity.
Opposite argument: School helps a student to improve his/her skills
- If you want to make a coherent plan for your business report by examining different ideas
E.g. What is some of the plans to attract more customers- not only women but also men- for a beauty company?
What Should a Synthesis Essay Provide
The primary aim of the synthesis essay is to compare two or more different point of view to make a clear analysis of a claim.
Therefore, your essay should explain different approaches to a particular point that are given.
The reader might not know theories, concepts or opinions that you discuss.
Secondly, you ought to state the differences or similarities between these topics to make your points clear.
When you both give all differences and similarities at the same time, you might deviate from your principles. Your essential aim is to synthesize multiple opinions to discuss a coherent argument.
Well, you should reach a final point. The reader ought to understand some important points:
-what is the importance of the ideas that are explained?
- what are the connections between them?
- what is the author’s perspective?
-how multiple ideas come together to produce a new argument?
The Nightmare: How to Organize My Paper
We know it is really hard to organize an essay for you. Therefore, Ride My Homework will be your best guideline to learn synthesis essay format.
Before learning the synthesis essay outline, let’s learn the importance of outline.
There are many essential parts of an essay, and every part serves a different aim. If you don’t combine them to each other properly, your synthesis essay will be unreadable and complicated.
However, you want to take A+ GRADES, and you want to explain your argument without any chaos in your paper.
The importance of the synthesis essay outline:
- It helps you to put the pieces in their right places.
An essay consists of:
The title (it doesn’t be needed in some exams)
The thesis statement
Body Paragraphs (it can be 3 or 5 paragraphs)
Supporting details and examples
If you know where they should be, you can write easily.
- You can be focused without any confusion during the whole writing process.
Synthesis essay outline gives the optimal order of the context. Therefore, even though you have many things to say, you cannot lose your way.
Outline & Structure
The title should be relevant to the content and grabs the reader’s attention.
You can use some adjectives, adverbs or powerful words that can describe your main subject.
The topic: Students shouldn’t wear school uniform.
The title can be “What if I take off my school uniform?
- BACKGROUND INFORMATION
- THE THESIS STATEMENT
BODY PARAGRAPH 1
- TOPIC SENTENCE
- SUPPORTING DETAILS
- CONCLUDING SENTENCE
BODY PARAGRAPH 2
- TOPIC SENTENCE
- SUPPORTING DETAILS
- CONCLUDING SENTENCE
BODY PARAGRAPH 3
- TOPIC SENTENCE
- SUPPORTING DETAILS
- CONCLUDING SENTENCE
- RESTATEMENT OF THE THESIS STATEMENT
- SYNTHESIS OF MAJOR POINTS
- THE IMPORTANCE OF THE TOPIC
- A FINAL COMMENT
After learning the synthesis essay template, it is easy to start writing a synthesis essay.
Let’s learn more and more!
You Are Ready to Learn How to Start a Synthesis Essay Now!
You are going to learn how to write an introduction for a synthesis essay step by step.
The introduction paragraph consists of 3 basic steps
The hook is an opening statement of the introduction paragraph. It is generally the first sentence of the paragraph.
The main purpose of the hook is to grabs the reader’s attention. It should be related to the overall topic of the synthesis essay. Thus, the reader wants to continue to read the whole paper.
A hook has several different variations; it can be a question/rhetorical question, quote, statistic or anecdote.
- BACKGROUND INFORMATION
The reader doesn’t need to know your topic. You should enlighten the reader step by step. Background information is the given information after the hook to clarify the overall theme of the content.
For example, if you discuss the causes of acid rain, you should explain what acid rain is briefly to make it clear for the reader.
The introduction is the trailer of your synthesis essay; thus, it cannot be long and complicated. You will give details in your main body paragraphs.
Hence, the background information should also be brief and understandable.
- THE THESIS STATEMENT
The thesis statement is the core of the synthesis essay. In the thesis statement, the writer should give the main argument.
It will be a guide for the reader.
Synthesis Essay Thesis Statement
The thesis statement is the most critical part of the introduction paragraph. It should the last sentence of the introduction.
Let’s give clear answers to 2 important questions about the thesis statement.
- Why is the thesis statement so significant?
The thesis statement explains the main theme of the synthesis essay; therefore, it is a sort of road map for the reader.
The reader learns what will be discussed in the whole paper.
- What are the functions of the thesis statement?
There are 4 critical functions of the thesis of synthesis essay.
- Thesis statement is specific
The writer cannot give a general point of view in the thesis statement. Important parts of the subject should be stated in the thesis to discuss.
- It is not a fact or statement
The writer ought to present the arguable side of the topic.
The fact: Fast food is harmful to children health
Arguable thesis statement: Fast food should be banned in the primary school canteen’s
- The thesis statement cannot be longer than 1 or 2 sentences
Synthesis Essay Introduction Examples
Here is a great example of the synthesis essay introduction
The topic: Higher education ought to be free
Do you plan to study at a university? How much will cost your choice?
It is believed that elementary and secondary education is right for all people. However, college and university education shouldn’t be free because higher education costs much, which causes economic problems. Hence, the cost of tuition and fees are increasing day by day in the modern world.
The Thesis Statement:
I suggest that higher education ought to be free for several reasons: educated society and widened workforce.
H2: How to Write a Conclusion Paragraph for a Synthesis Essay with Examples
The conclusion is written to wrap up the whole essay. There are 4 basic functions of the conclusion paragraph.
- Restate the thesis statement in a new way
The thesis statement gives the main theme of the paper. You should remind the most powerful and proven part of your argument in conclusion.
Be careful! Saying the thesis statement word by word makes your essay boring and unprofessional.
You should make a fresh sentence.
The thesis: higher education ought to be free because it increases the education level of society.
- Synthesis the major arguments and opinions
A well-written conclusion cannot be the summary of the whole essay. It brings all major points together and makes a connection between them. Therefore, the writer can reach a final point.
- Make your significant points and the context clear
One of the main purposes of the conclusion is helping the reader to understand the main argument without any problem. Thus, the writer ought to explain the importance of the topic clearly.
Synthesis Essay Writing Guide According to Your Education Level
It is daunting to write a proper synthesis essay according to your education level. Every level requires different qualities. Ride My Homework has prepared excellent guidelines for all students.
We will give great tips you all to write the best synthesis essay.
Synthesis Essay Examples Elementary
It is important to understand the function and the purpose of the assignment is crucial for the elementary level. Thus, elementary students must see what exactly the synthesis essay is
Here are wonderful tips to help you!
- Learn what a synthesis essay is first!
If you want to know where to start and how to start, you should know what your purpose is. Hence, it would be best if you search for the function of your task.
- What is a synthesis essay?
- How can you explain your argument?
- How to synthesis different ideas?
- Why do we need to writing a synthesis essay?
Find answers to these questions. Then, follow the tips below!
- Choose a topic that you interested in
If you choose a synthesis essay topic according to your interest, it will be enjoyable to write about it.
- Use a formal language
Writing an essay is the most important part of academic education. Your instructors want to see your ability to use academic language. Hence, please avoid using abbreviations and slang; also making an incomplete sentence.
- Be simple
Your main purpose is to prove your idea clearly. Therefore, your sentence should be simple but effective.
No one can know what is going on in your mind without any clear explanation.
Synthesis Essay Examples Middle School
The most significant thing is to understand a particular subject clearly for middle school education.
If you understand a specific topic clearly, you can argue on it. Also, you are able to compare it to the opposite one to prove your perspective.
Well, the main purpose of the synthesis essay is to bring together two or more different ideas to make a new argument.
If you want to write a great synthesis essay, follow the tips as the following:
- Find relevant ideas to support your topic
You should prove your argument. Therefore, if you find relevant subjects and synthesis them well to back up your point, it would be best for your essay.
- Make a connection between ideas
The synthesis essay is written to make connections between multiple ideas to create a new idea. Hence, if you explain how different ideas support each other, or how opposite opinions feed on each other it makes your essay more reliable and professional.
Synthesis Essay Examples High School
If you want to write an excellent synthesis essay, you should be able to do close reading and analyse.
- Understand the meaning of the subject well
If you clearly understand the main theme of your topic, and it will be easier to search it.
The topic: How social and political problems affect child labor in the Victorian age?
- Search the one critical social and political problem in the Victorian Age
- Learn what child labor is
- Make a connection between social problems and difficulties that children had experienced
- Bring the pieces of the puzzle together
The most significant thing is to making connections between multiple ideas to write a synthesis essay. Hence, you should be able to look at the big picture without bias.
It would be best if you determine what the problem is and what reason for it. Then, you would be related to different ideas together to reach a solution.
How to Write a Synthesis Essay for University
Ride My Homework has prepared 4 great tips for writing an effective synthesis essay for university.
- Organize your paper
The organization will make things easier for you.
Check 5 paragraph synthesis essay outline above and determine what will you explain in your paragraphs step by step
- Evaluate the information, sources, and evidence
If you don’t explain the text’s hidden meaning, or if you don’t state the important points of the information, the reader might misinterpret it.
Therefore, it would be best if you evaluate the sources according to your arguments and make a connection between them.
- Determine your main goal(s)
Take a note about what you will discuss in your synthesis essay, what the importance of your subject is, why do you need to explain your topic to the reader.
When you give a clear answer to these questions, you will shape your thesis statement.
- Collate different ideas together to make a coherent claim
A synthesis essay is used for comparing different theories, concepts, or claims to make a new and coherent argument. Hence, avoid just making a comparison between sources! Please, compare, analyse, and collate them to bring them together.
Well, you have learned how to write the best example of a synthesis essay according to your education level.
It is time to choose synthesis essay ideas. Enjoy them!
Synthesis Essay Topic Ideas
Let’s learn how to choose the best topic for your synthesis essay!
There are two important tips below!
- The topic ought not to be too general or too specific
It will be hard to discuss a general topic like global warming. You can find many sources, articles, data, and arguments on it.
It is impossible to synthesis all of them or bring them together.
On the other hand, when you choose a too specific topic- a psychoanalysis of child characters in Shakespeare’s masterpieces- it will be hard to compare and analyse because there no many child characters in his works.
- The topic must be debatable
You cannot argue on a fact; for instance, eating fast food causes obesity.
Who can deny this fact? Therefore, the topic should be arguable.
The waitress should be received more tips because they are paid a lower salary
- Should the usage of social media be restricted? Does it lead to being unsocial?
- What is the role of influencers on beauty standards for young girls?
- To what extend YouTube damage people’s privacy?
- How does Tinder affect date habits?
- What is the effect of earning more money on receiving higher education?
- Will online education replace traditional education soon?
- What is the role of the school uniform? Is it possible to eliminate class differences by wearing the same clothes in the schools?
- How preschool education affect the development of a child?
- What is the relationship between air pollution and global warming?
- What is the role of American life-style in the increased rate of obesity?
- Does modern technology cause the gap between rich and poor?
- What is the effects of artificial intelligence on overproduction?
- Is it possible to achieve the concept of smart cities in the next 10 years?
- How does Instagram contribute to the culture of entertainment?
- Do you believe voting ought to be mandatory all over the world?
- Should tobacco making be illegal in the USA?
- How the modern business sector affects minority workers?
- Does modern Britain society support both men and women equally?
- Should sugary drinks be banned in schools?
- Why is animal testing not ethical?
- Do you believe cosmetic surgery ought to be covered in insurance?
- Should health care be free for all US citizens?
- Why are cookery programs so popular all over the world?
- Is graffiti a work of art?
- What is the role of video games between boys?
- How TV commercials affect shopping habits?
- Compare reading a paper of book and listening audiobook. Which one is effective?
- What is the role of love of attraction in living a desired life?
- Which one is more effective on human behaviors: nature or nurture?
- What is the relationship between hardworking and being talented? How they contributed to each other?
- Do you believe a convicted felon can also have a right to vote?
- Do you believe the offenders ought to be rehabilitated instead of being punished?
Synthesis Essay Topic Ideas for College
- Do you believe prostitution ought to be legal?
- What is the effect of immigration on education in the USA?
- How gender inequality be prevented in middle east society?
- Do you agree people ought to be anonymous on social media to prevent identity thief?
- Why do many people suggest leaders must have moral obligations?
- What is the importance of art education for society?
- Why are swear words so common in the USA? Do they lose their shocking effects?
- Do you believe YouTubers promote troubling stereotypes?
- Is it possible to define someone according to his/her best friends?
- Has Instagram lost its edge? What is the role of it in our daily life?
- Does the technology capture our lives?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is the difference between a synthesis essay and an argumentative essay?
A synthesis essay is a critical thinking process: the writer must synthesis the information from at least 3 different sources. Then, the writer should be able to evaluate the positive and negative factors to release the implications of the arguments.
In contrast, an argumentative essay is written to defend, challenge, or take a position about a topic. It should be more philosophical. The sources which are used can be the point of the author. However, the sources ought to provide supporting ideas, concepts, or information. Thus, the writer can make his/her point.
- Do you use quotes in a synthesis essay?
Of course, you can use a quote in a synthesis essay. However, you should be careful! If you give a direct quote, the reader might not understand your point. Hence, you must interpret the quote or make a connection between your point and it.
- What should you not do in a synthesis essay?
It is really hard to write a synthesis essay for many students because they don’t know what synthesis skills are and what an example of synthesis is
Let’s give clear answers.
Firstly, you shouldn’t be in a rush during the reading process. A synthesis essay requires close reading and evaluate the information. Therefore, you should be patient, and you should be able to think analytically.
If you want to write the best example of a synthesis essay, you must read well-written examples. So, you can see how to make your point and bring different pieces together to support your argument.